• question-icon

What causes constant headache while on Tylenol?

Posted on Sat, 22 Jul 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I have constant headaches above the left ear and some trembling. No fever. I have had this symptom for several months and I am beginning to become scared. I take tylenol 800 mg at bedtime and sometimes that allows me to sleep. Could this be stress as I have been unemployed for 2 years.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stress could play a role.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Since the issue has been constant over several months without new symptoms I do not think have to be scared, threatening issues such as tumors, stroke, brain infections etc would have produced other symptoms in the meantime.

Whether it could be related to stress...yes it can play a role. Tension type headache is the most common type of primary headache (primary meaning without an identifiable cause) and it is often triggered or exacerbated by stress and anxiety. The trembling would be in the favor of such a hypothesis. Ibuprofen (Advil) is usually more effective in relieving it than Tylenol.

Of course it would be prudent to consult your primary physician to be examined for possibility of ear infection or other signs you might have missed, but as I said no indication of an alarming issue.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 23 minutes later
Thank you for your response. Do you mean otc Ibuprofen or a prescription for
Ibuprofen?

Thanks again.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Over the counter one.

Detailed Answer:
Simply the over the counter one. It is usually more effective for tension type headache then Tylenol, usually 400-600 mg dosage.

Let me know if I can further assist you
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist