• question-icon

What causes constant exaggerated sense of smell?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: EXPERIENCING EXAGGERATED SENSE OF SMELL FOR 6 MONTHS. FURNITURE PUTRID ODOR - ALMOST EVERYTHING UNBEARABLE. TAKING MEDS FOR CONGESTIVE HEART FAILURE AND COPD.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hyperosmia needs work up

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Exaggerated sense of smell is called hyperosmia and at the age of 74 with no prior history , a complete thorough neurological exam is needed from olfactory nerves in the nose till olfactory cortex in the brain and try to find out any lesion in the way. Some times medications withdrawal specially benzodiazepines etc cause it more often. Amphetamines use may also cause this.

Nutshell, you need thorough neurological examination as well as detailed clinical correlation to rule out environmental causes of this hyperosmia and also treatment for it. Usually butyrophenones and thioridazine hydrochlorides work.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan