What causes constant edema in the feet, ankles, and shins despite discontinuing Amlodipine?

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am taking amlodipine and have had serious edema in feet , ankles, and shins. I stopped taking it but the edema still continues. What to do?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to start on diuretics.

Detailed Answer:

After going through your medical details I understand your concern and I would like to tell you that pedal edema is common in some patients taking amlodipine but the condition is reversible.

You should stop taking amlodipine and start some diuretic that will help in lowering the pedal edema. You need to start with another class of antihypertensive medicine like telmisartan.

It’s advisable to personally consult a Cardiologist for further treatment and a new prescription.

Hopefully, this information will answer your query.

Dr. Bhanu Partap, Cardiologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana