What causes constant dizziness and lightheadedness in an elderly person?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My 65 year old husband has been dizzy , he is spinning not the room, light headed , This has been going on for 3 years. Done all the tests and gone to the Mayo Clinic. Vertigo has been ruled out. Any suggestions ?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM.

As verigo has been excluded, I would recommend considering also migraine and epilepsy seizures as a possible cause of this clinical scenario.

Coming to this point, I would recommend performin an EEG and a brain MRI.

I would also advice performing a Doppler ultrasound of the cervical arteries to examine the blood flow in the vertebral arteries and thyroid hormone levels to exclude possible thyroid dysfunction.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr.Iliri