What causes constant clearing up of throat?
Thanks for writing to HCM
I have gone through your query,
There could be two reasons for your daughter having such problem--
1. Enlarged adenoids
2. Reflux disease
I will try to explain
1. Enlarged adenoids-- Adenoids are the tonsil behind the nose and not easily visible . they can be seen either by nasal endoscopy, or through mouth with special mirror.
The adenoid tissue if enlarged causes nasal blockage and the child has complaints of mouth breathing especially at night , and also she might have snoring , and she might get up in night with dry mouth or get up crying for air.
The nose when blocked could cause mouth breathing and so the child has irritated airway with the dry air.
In addition if there are enlarged adenoids she might have nasal discharge.
2. reflux disease--- This means that the child has reflux of food contents from the stomach to the food pipe. This is similar to belching or heart burn as we adults have.
This causes the acid from stomach to irritate the airway and cause foreign body sensation in throat and so she is trying to clear the throat again and again.
She might get up in night , her food habits are not alright , she has on and off complaints of stomach pain.and even has constipation--- all these indicate reflux disease
You should get an ent consultation if you feel she has any such problem or reply back .
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes strep throat
- Causes of cough and throat clearing
- What causes a hoarse throat
- What causes constant throat clearing
- Constant throat irritation causes
- What causes drainage in throat
- What causes cough and need to constantly clear throat
- Constant throat infection causes
- What causes a raspy throat
- What causes constant sore throat with history of smokinh