What causes constant chest discomfort when diagnosed with gastritis?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Wha does it mean when your chest hurts after pushing on your stomach? I was diagnosed with gastritis back in January and have been on Protonix since december 31st. I just had a ultrasound on my upper right quadrant to see if i have gallstones because i am still suffering from the chest pain that ive had. I have mostly had pain on the right side but now i am experiencing sight pain on the left as well. All day today i have felt like ive needed to burp but could never expell enough gas to feel better. I have had 3 ekgs and they all came back normal and i have had blood tests and they came back normal as well. They checked my liver heart and pancreas enzymes as well which were all in normal limits. I sometimes feel the chest pain in my back as well. My stomach doesnt hurt but my chest does.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosinG HealthcareMagic for your query,
Have gone through your details.

You are a diagnosed case of Gastritis.Your history is highly suggestive that chest discomfort you are experiencing is because of gastritis.
Your cardiac investigations are also normal this again favour's gastritis to be a cause of chest pain in your case.
I would suggest you to rule out other GI causes initially-
Tests adviced are-
Ultra sound whole abdomen.
24-hr pH study to see if any GERD or reflux esophagitis is present along with gastritis.
A HIDA scan with CCK stimulation to make sure that the gall bladder is not causing your discomfort.
Upper g.i endoscopy.

Treatment suggestions to be discussed with Gastroenterologist-
-Firstly i would suggest you to switch over to Nexium(Esomeprazole),Initially take it 40mg twice daily,However if pain not relieved doses can be increased to 80mg twice a day.Ask you gastroenterologist to add Levosulpride;It is a sulpride isomer and exerts its prokinetioc effect by blocking D2 receptors,Recent studies have shown that combining it with proton pump inhibitors have shown good effect in patients suffering from Gastritis and esophagitis.

-Some times increased anxiety and stress levels can also cause cardiac pain.If not relieved from above mentioned drugs then a mild dose of anxiolytic can be taken once daily for few weeks.
-As your age is just 25 cardiac cause is very unlikely,However as chief complaint in your case is chest pain only i would suggest you to go for Few cardiology tests like Echo doppler and Stress test to rule out possibility of cardiac disease.

Few life style and dietary changes are also advocated along with medications'
-Take 2 glasses of cold milk daily.
-Avoid taking extra fibres in your diet to control gases.
-Restrict intake of carbohjydrates.
-No aerated drinks or alcohol.
-Fruit juice should be avoided.
-Avoid spicy or oily food.
Take a probiotic daily.

Follow up with reports.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy