What causes constant burning and pain in stomach?

General Surgeon
Question
Hi. I am having a constant burning, sometimes stabbing, pain in my lower abdomen on the left side. It has been this way since yesterday. It hurts through to my back, too. I am perimenopausal and have been spotting for about 6 days. I also have IBS and have had a spinal fusion, at the L4-L5 vertebrae. Any advice?
Posted Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get a USG abdomen

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

I have read your query and understand your concern.

You pain could be either due to a left sided ureteric stone or drug induced gastritis or due to pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). But gastritis pain is usually felt on the upper abdomen, so I would advice you to get an ultrasound(USG) of your abdomen to rule of the presence of stone and also the status of your pelvic organs like uterus, tubes and ovaries.

Further management will depend upon the usg report as management is different for stones and PID(Pelvic inflammatory disease). An Urologist will be needed for the former and gynecologist for the later.

Hope I have been helpful.

Dr. Ashish Verma