What causes constant bitter taste in the mouth after taking malaria madication?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Infections
Question: Hi, my wife XXXXXXX 35 years old was diagnosed of having Malaria +++ about two months ago, she was treated but the fever reappeared. Her major problem now is constant bitter taste in the mouth which makes her lose appetite for food. She has done malaria, typhoid and full blood count tests. The results shows now that she has no malaria but she keeps experiencing this bitter taste in the mouth and lose of appetite and fever. She was prior to this time taking some fertility drugs. But this constant bitter taste and fever is now a huge problem. Please advise
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
needs investigations

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
I can understand the plight you and your wife is undergoing through.
I will try to simplify.
The commonest reason for bitter taste in mouth is the medicines your wife has taken particularly for Malaria. Another reasons are fever itself, Amoebic Liver abscess, Bad oral hygiene due to persistent fever and illness.

The mechanism of bitterness is : the medicines which are still in the blood and circulating in the body are secreted in the saliva, and comes in the mouth to give a bitter taste. It will go away when the body is cleared of the medicines with time. And the loss of appetite is again caused by bitter taste , fever , not feeling well is in fact a sign of ill-health. It will be recovered only after the cure.

You say the fever has recurred but the tests are negative for Malaria.
Is it then positive for typhoid ? Or CBC showing high WBC count?

Since your Wife is not well for 2 months, I would recommend you the following investigations if not yet done or to repeat them.
-X-ray Chest to see tuberculosis, any pneumonia, fluid in pleura.
-Ultrasonography of the abdomen to see for signs of TB or other disease, lymph nodes, liver abscess in particular, Genitourinary systems like kidney infection, pelvic inflammatory disease.
-You may please get the findings confirmed by CT scan of the abdomen.
-Blood culture for typhoid and other infections.
-Blood - liver functions, kidney functions, thyroid profile,
-Urine : Routine, microscopy, culture and sensitivity.

The further treatment will depend upon the reports of investigations.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T