What causes constant bitter taste in mouth?

Posted on Sat, 25 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: About 2 months ago I started having a sensation of everything tasting bitter. Like cough medicine bitter. It is especially noticable when I am eating sweets but happens with most foods. I have not really had any change in medications for about 5 years so that does not explain it. I had a cortisone shot in my hip a few days before It started tasting bitter but that doesn't explain it either. Just for no good read. I asked the dentist and he didn't know and didn't see anything in my mouth to explain it.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Tobacco and acid reflux.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Your question and answers in it. Acid reflux / heartburn and tobacco. Modify diet and lifestyle, eat small frequent meals, avoid sweets, more fiber and fluids, keep head side of bed elevated, lose weight, avoid processed & canned foods. Do regular exercise and continue taking antacids etc for the relief. Its acid reflux and once managed it will bring back the taste.

next major culprit is heavy smoking. You have to get rid of tobacco other wise these issues will persists. Once tobacco is quit, acid reflux will also reduce. And so will your symptoms. Do garlic water mouth rinses, salt water gargles to help the oral hygiene as well.

I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan