• question-icon

What causes constant abdominal discomfort?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am a 72 year old white male. I have Chron's disease. I am on Remicade infusion therapy every 6 weeks. Upper and lower g I scans show the disease to be in remission. I go through periods of constant stomach discomfort and build up of gas. I recently was on antibiotics directed at intestinal viruses. The treatment lasted for 6 weeks, with gaps of dosage of a week between dosages. It worked. But am not back to discomfort and the previously mentioned symptoms. I feel I have a recurrent virus. My question is - could it be herpes. I do not have any visible sores but occasionally get blisters on my buttocks. My gastro is reluctant to keep me on antibiotics, and I agree.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Very unlikely to be herpes!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I have reviewed your information fully. This is unlikely to be herpes. Herpes wouldn’t cause pain alone. Herpes often causes pain and bloody diarrhea. Blister in the buttocks are not typical of herpes either. Herpes is most known to cause blisters around the genitals and on the lips.

It will be interesting to know what antibiotics your doctor had you on. This might help guide determine what germs are susceptible to this antibiotic and narrow down the list of possible causes.

On another note, a comprehensive stool exam and culture will be able to establish whether there are any abnormalities in the digestive flora and guide treatment options. As your doctor rightly said, prolonged and continued antibiotics used is not always the best option.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me and allow for more exchanges as you please. I wish you well and the best of all possible outcomes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Chobufo Ditah