• question-icon

What causes congestion, pressure and pain in the ear while suffering from cold?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hey doctor,

I am into the third day of a common cold and when I woke up, I noticed my ear was blocked with a feeling of fulness and loud tinnitus but not associated ear pain. Now I have had ear problems in the past with ear infections and I know there isn't a huge amount I can do when it's caused by a cold, but I am just wondering if it's something that would clear up with the cold or will it lingear on much longer after the cold goes and maybe develop into an ear infection? I have already tried decongestants, steamy hot showers, blowing my nose and chewing gum but they make no difference. I also noticed the tinnitus I have seems to react really badly to loud noises or when im in a quite room.i
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ear symptoms will go away when cold symptoms clear up!

Detailed Answer:
HI,

ear symptoms are common when we have a cold because inflammation in the air passages block the tube which connects the middle ear and the throat. This causes symptoms of fullness, tinnitus, etc. As the cold clears up and inflammation regresses, these symptoms would also disappear. There is no reason for them to stay beyond the col infection.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be. Above all, report the evolution of the symptoms to me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Chobufo Ditah