What causes congestion and cough after completing antibiotics for sinus?

Dr. Behar Greca

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I have been on Allegra D and Singulair for allergies/hay fever. I just finished a course of antibiotics for a sinus infection. I felt better for a few days, and now I feel congested, light headed, and am coughing up chunks of colored mucus. Could I need another round of antibiotics or should I seek help for allergies?
Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Acute bronchitis...

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for posting!

I have gone through your query and I understand your concerns.

According to what you have said above, I think that you have a bronchitis
(bronchial infection). Colored mucus is bronchial secretion caused by bacteria.

You need a pulmonary X-ray in order to check the condition of your lungs, complete blood count, blood test for leukocytes formula and a respiratory function test.

You should consult your pulmonologist, who will determine the diagnosis and the treatment based on the tests results.

Ask me if you need any further clarifications.

Take care,
Dr. Behar.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj