• question-icon

What causes confusion and sedation while on Gabapentin and Hydroxyzine?

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: For nearly a month I have been taking Hydroxyzine and gabapentin (150-300mg) at night to improve the quality of my sleep while on Parnate 20-30 mg.

In addition to the better sleep I have enjoyed more emotional openness and less anger in the first part of the day, but also a slight "drunk" feeling. In the past days it has become worse, with confusion and sedation extending into the afternoon.

This had been abating especially when I would take my parnate and lamictal in the early afternoon. In the past days I feel no better with the parnate and I've even felt somewhat ill.

Is there an explanation for this? hydroxyzine is one of the only things that helps me fight the parnate insomnia, but I know it has a long half-life and affects many receptors. Could it or the gabapentin be having a heightened effect over time?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

This "drunk" feeling alongside confusion and sedation into the afternoon is most likely related to polypharmacy. Taking too many medications can cause amplification of the side effect profiles of all of them. Gabapentin and hydroxyzine can both cause sedation, so I would recommend consolidating these into one or the other rather than both.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist