question-icon

What causes complete paralysis on the left side of the body?

Posted on Thu, 19 May 2016
Question: Hello everyone,

This case is very new to our family, and never happened to anyone before in the family.

It's about my brother son age 13 years old, we hope someone can help us out, and tell us if anyone experienced this! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Current Situation:
He is paralyzed suddenly on left side of his body, he can't move his left arm or left leg, he can't speak because I THINK the loss of muscle in the tongue.
Hs tongue also move to the same side when he take it out after we ask him to do so.

He understand what we say and reply his head (YES or NO), he remember everything, what school he go to etc.

About him:
He always play playstation, he loves that, and do that most his free time, like in the weekend and after school, he doesn't speak allot, he is quite person in general, but when he play playstation online with his friends, he speak too much and loud.

What happened: different things happened
1. (8 days before) When my brother friend visited him, he heard his son laughing to much, and speaking in weird words like a 5 years old (PLAYSTATION ONLINE WITH HIS FRIENDS), so my brother went to him and told him to speak lower, and grow up, because he had a visitor, he son said yes, but after couple of minutes he went on with lauging and talking in weirds words. He didn't think about anything at the moment.

2. (4 days before) In the last week before the paralyze, he had been very quite, he slept early everyday, and his teacher called my brother and told him, his son was very blunt, not very active.

3. (last 3 days) He went with his mother to help her at work, he told her that he couldn't feel his one arm, but his mom told him maybe he was sleeping on that arm during the night and that was the cause!

4. (last 2 days) Saturday he slept all day, he was very tired and was just sleeping, when anyone spoke to him he would only laugh, but during the day he was up in the house and he peed in his pants, but they didn't take this as WAKE UP CALL, so they just helped him to clean him self and went to sleep again! until next day, we will wake up and eat but that's it!

5. (last day -> sunday) He again slept all day, this happens from time to time, that when you are sick you keep yourself in the bed. Anyway, his mom had a visitor, so while she was going inside she saw the kid in his bed laying and she asked him, "How are you?" then he replied with a "laugh" and unusual movements, she thought something is wrong with the kid or he is disrespecting, so she told her mom, your kid have something wrong with his brain! After few minutes the kid tried to go up and again he peed in his pants, and then they TOOK him immediately to the hospital. On the way when they tried to speak to him he was only laughing, didn't say anything else, they thought their kid went crazy!

When I went to take care of his children at home while the kid was in hospital sunday night, I asked them what went wrong, they started to tell me, that the kid have been very weird lately, laughing and pee in pants, but they didn't think something was wrong with him until when the kid couldn't walk anymore or move his left side.

RESULT from hospital

They saw black shadow in his brain, they couldn't know what it is. They also found some bacteria in his spine, but they cannot tell to this day what is wrong with him, and until today after 5-6 days at hospital, he can't speak or move his arm or leg.

He can laugh and move his head to say yes or no! I don't know if he can express sentences, but he understand everything.

Anyone experience anything like this before or know someone who can help us?

We still can't figure out why he kept laughing before he was home, or why he couldn't tell us something really was wrong with him, if he felt so? or maybe he didn't feel anything until last moment?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar (25 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Need to have the MRI reports of brain and spine for complete diagnosis.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted the symptoms and current medical condition of the young boy.

Based on the description, it seems that both his brain and spinal cord are affected. The commonest infection to cause this situation is tuberculosis (TB). If there is high fever, then, other bacterial infections are also possible.

Further diagnosis may require biopsy of the lesion (a piece of affected area is removed and examined under the microscope) and lumbar puncture (where fluid from the lower back is removed).

Inappropriate laughter can occur if frontal lobes of the brain are affected. Weakness of left arm and leg can occur if the right side of brain is affected. If spinal cord is affected, children may lose the ability to control urine.

If possible, please upload the radiologist report of the MRI brain and spine, which would further help us in diagnosis.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar (8 hours later)
From our story -> the doctor said he THINK the kid have AMED, but not 100%.

They are giving him antibiotics for last few days, and another medicine I can't remember the name, it should BOOST HIS ENERGY!

They found INFLUENCE B in his spit! The doctors said it's not STROKE, because they took MRI scanning, and could not see that in the brain!
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Thank you for the update.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back with more information.

I am glad to note the progress and the fact that it is not STROKE.

Is it AMED or ADEM (acute disseminated encephalo myelitis)?

Please keep me updated about his improvement.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist