What causes colorless bumps on arms when suffering from addison's disease?

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: i asked a question last night and you guys made me register without offering an answer yet.
i have addison's disease. for the last 3 nights i have been developing colorless, non itchy bumps under my skin on both arms. they feel like something starts creeping on me and then these bumps , which they dont look like blisters , or papilomas, they are more like patches of cells under my skin. can i speak to an endocrine doctor?
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ANSWERED YESTERDAY ITSELF

Detailed Answer:

PLEASE NOTE: I HAD ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION YESTERDAY ITSELF AND I HAVE COPIED THE ANSWER AGAIN HERE.

Good day.
Noted the history and I am curious to see the skin lesions. You could attach them to this question. Please take a snap using a camera or XXXXXXX phone and just upload and attach.

Noted that you have secondary hypocortisolism. What was the reason ? Chronc steroid use or is it due to hypo pituitarism. Did you have rheumatoid arthritis or SLE or similar conditions before ? Did the skin lesions appear after sun exposure?

It may be better to use Hydrocortisone tablets rather than prednisolone for addisons. Hydrocortisone is more gentle and doesnt harm the bone as much as how prednisolone does. Usual dose is Hydrocortisone 10 mg on waking up, 5 mg at noon and 5 mg at 5 pm. ( this will equate to only 5 mg of prednisolone).
Part of your high blood pressure may be due to prednisolone itself. It can also make your skin thin and friable and rash like skin patches can appear.

Please attach a photo so that i can advice you further. I would also like to show this to my dermatology collegue.

Binu