What causes colic in an infant?
My baby completed 7 weeks yesterday.Since last night baby has been very restless.Keeps waking up and wants to be carried and is cranky.Is this normal?We gave her 0.3ml of Colic Aid drops today.However everytime we put her to sleep she keeps waking up.Kindly help.
Looks like evening colic - I have explained in detail
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.
This is called evening colic and is quite common in this age group. This happens when the baby sucks at the breast very fast and in eagerness to drink milk will gulp in air too. Unless the air comes out like burping or flatus this discomfort will be there and next time check if the baby is sucking too fast and gulping in air too. You will be more convinced.
Usually I don't advice any medicines for this as they give only temporary relief.
The two best ways to relieve this distress is -
1. Do not put the baby in lying position after feeding till the baby burps out the swallowed air.
2. If still crying - put the baby in prone position and keep patting the back gently so that the baby passes off the flatus and gets relieved.
Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Regards - Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
It can be either - but both are not pathological
Hi...it can be either, but as both are not pathological, you need not worry.
When a baby is irritable, but consolable, you need not worry about it.
Regards - Dr. Sumanth
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for viral diarrhea in children
- What causes pain in both the legs of a 4 year old child?
- Suggest treatment for atrial septal defect in children
- What causes bad body odor while suffering from fever?
- What causes eye bleeding while coughing in children?
- Suggest remedy for frequent infections in children
- What causes severe cough, vomiting and stomach pain in a child?
- Is air travel safe while suffering from ear infection?
- Does intake of Wymox help in curing viral fever in an infant?
- Are green diarrhea and pus cells in stool signs of bacterial infection?