What causes colic in a 25 days old infant at night?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Sat, 17 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: My baby is 25 days old and keeps crying during night. She does potty thrice a day. Also she is fed on demand still nothing seems to help. She just does not sleep.Pls suggest.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like Evening colic.... suggestions given

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

This is called evening colic and is quite common in this age group.

This happens when the baby sucks at the breast very fast and in eagerness to drink milk will gulp in air too. Unless the air comes out like burping or flatus this discomfort will be there and next time check if the baby is sucking too fast and gulping in air too. You will be more convinced.

Usually I don't advice any medicines for this as they give only temporary relief.

The two best ways to relieve this distress is -
1. Do not put the baby in lying position after feeding till the baby burps out the swallowed air.
2. If still crying - put the baby in prone position and keep patting the back gently so that the baby passes off the flatus and gets relieved.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 3 hours later
Thank u so much Dr. However, after feeding when I try to give my baby a burp by puttin her on my shoulder n patting her, she does not stay, feels vry uncomfortable and kicks n starts crying.Pls suggest what can I do in this case.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please answer my questions so that I can guide you better

Detailed Answer:
Hi... I need more information. Please answer my questions so that I can guide you better.

Questions -

1. Does the baby arch back frequently?
2. Does the baby vomit or regurgitate after every feed?
3. What is the birth weight and current weight?
4. Please mention the exact date of birth?

Kindly get back to me with answers.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Hi Dr.

1) Yes the baby does arch back when carried
2) Yes the baby vomits little curd or milk probably half an hr or 45mins after feed
3) Birth weight-2.6 kg
Current weight as on 27th Aug- 3.36 kg
4) Exact DOB- 5th August 2016
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like mild gastroesophageal reflux (GER)

Detailed Answer:
Hi...thank you for the answers. By what you quote this looks like mild GER.

Your child is doing excellently well weight wise - which is sign of a healthy baby at this age.

I feel your baby may get benefited with anti reflux measures like - anti emetics and proton pump inhibitors.

They are available as Domstal and Junior Lanzol. But these are prescription medicines. I suggest you consult your pediatrician for the prescription.

I wish your kid a speedy recovery. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link. Once the page opens there will be an option below my image as – ASK ME A QUESTION – click on it. In this way even in health care magic you can follow up always with a single doctor who knows the history of your kid completely. Please find the link below -

www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sumanth-amperayani/67696

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng