question-icon

What causes cold while on Dextromethorphan?

Posted on Tue, 18 Apr 2017
Question: My wife has we believe taken 100ml of dextromethorphan polistirex for a cough while at a function where coughing would not be good. She now feels fluish and unstable and cold. She had a full meal which included 2 drinks. This morning she took mucinexDM at 10:00. She feels "not right" it is 01:00 local time now
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla (29 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
She probably has fever

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking in HCM

I can understand your concern

Dextromethorphan polistirex is a medication which suppresses the cough reflex .

Its mechanism of action is in central nervous system.

It she feels fluish and unstable and cold she might have increasing fever.

Usually we do not prefer to use antitussive medications (against the cough) if we do not know the reason of the cough.

I would recommend her to do the following tests:

Chest X ray
Hemogram
CRP

The above test are for excluding lung or other inflammation diseases.

Meanwhile for fever she can have paracetamol every 4-6 hours.

If the results are positive her doctor will prescribe her antibiotics for some days (like Zythromax) .

If they come negative this probably is a viral condition which will pass aftee some days.

Take care and feel free to ask me again.

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist