• question-icon

What causes cold sensation in the hands and blue veins on the hands?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Veins and Arteries
Question: My wife's hands are suddenly cold and we can see bulging blue blood vains in her palms and the fingers!
Is there cause for alarm?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no, but tests are required

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

If this happens just once or this coldness is temporary then there is no need to be worried siay happen due to vessel vasoconstriction.
However, if this happens repeatedly or there is no quick recovery then this may indicate condition called Raynauds syndrome. This is manifested with signs when fingers and toes start to feel cold and numb in response to cold temperatures or stress.
This is seen in some autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoids arhritis, SLE or vasculitis.
To evaluate this, it would be good to see immunologist and vascular internist to check blood flow through veins and arteries and specific blood tests.
This would show us if something serious exist as an underlying cause.
Meanwhile, she should warm up her hands when coldness occur, avoid weight lifting and take Aspirine 100mg.

Wish you good health. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon