• question-icon

What causes cold sensation in the chest area?

Posted on Sat, 29 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: hello

my question is

what would cause you to feel like your going to have a cold chill in chest but dont.

like I get the sensation for a cold chill but across my chest/back but don't have one.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:

I think I know what you are referring to: a sensation as though you might get shivers, similar to when you have a fever, although with a high fever it is persistent. Is that what you are feeling?

I am not sure what the mechanism for that is - possibly hormonal shifts (such as before ovulation or period), anxiety, or a temporary release of inflammatory mediators which happens during a fever. Unless it becomes persistent or worsens, I don't think it is concerning health wise.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 minutes later
yes that what it feels like. no fever 99.0 I do have a headache though
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your headache

Detailed Answer:
I remember we talked about that headache. It's still going on? At this point, if you've never had it evaluated before to know the nature of it, I recommend going in for evaluation. A headache should not persist this long.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 minutes later
I went to a walk in clinic they said he thinks it could be a sinus/ tension headache and will go away. it mostly hurts in the back of my head
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
Sinus headaches typically hurt in the sinus areas (forehead just above the eyes, sides of upper nose, under the boney arch of the cheek bones, above the upper teeth). And they are usually associated with some sinus pressure sensations or stuffiness. If the problem is stuffiness, a nasal steroid spray such as Flonase, used daily, should help.

Tension headaches are more muscular and happen when a person has been under stress or is having neck trouble.

I think, given how long this has been going on, that you should try to go in to see your regular doctor. He/she can do a more thorough exam, and if needed, have you go for a head CT or MRI to see what is going on.

Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 20 minutes later
oh okay. he couldn't get me in because he is busy. he said he felt sinus/cold med and a nasal spray would clear it up. 3 weeks ago I had an acute respiratory infection bronchitis and pleurisy. when I was at the clinic they said my blood pressure was 106 / 76 that my heart and lungs sounded great and the wheezing was gone. but the cough still here so you figured the between the call and the sinuses maybe that that's where the headache was coming from so now I don't know if I should just go to the ER or if I should just wait and see if it will resolve.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
If the coughing is still happening, it's possible that that is the reason for the headache. If the headache came on after the coughing started then it is most likely due to that.

You can wait a few days to see your doctor, but if the headache is bad though, or if you are feeling chills or fever, then don't wait.

Have you been given anything to try to settle the cough down? You might want to call your doctor's office, get a message to him that you still have a cough and headache, although the other symptoms have resolved, and would he prescribe a cough suppressant such as guaifenesin with codeine, or Tessalon.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 11 minutes later
no chills or fever. just that odd shrive feeling I got. it wasn't like a full chill or shrive just odd that's all. I'm sorry for bothering. I was just curious what to do and to feel better.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
OK

Detailed Answer:
You are not bothering.

But do let your doctor's office know what is going on with you with the continued headache and persistent coughing.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 21 minutes later
I think I may need to find a new Dr. you care more than he does. he does think I have an issue or want to look into it. and u have idea and think I should. :( idk what to do now
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts

Detailed Answer:
Hmm... what to do. Unless you feel your current doctor is totally apathetic and won't give you any further help, I think the best thing would be to go in to see him one more time and let him know you tried the things he recommended, ask what he thinks is the current reason for your symptoms and at what point he will consider further evaluation. However, if then you feel he really isn't caring about it (or if you already are convinced of it) then yes, it is time for a new doctor.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh