What causes cold-like symptoms with stomach ach and bloating?

Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: Male, 45, 6-1 and 225#. actively exercise and eat fairly healthy. About a week ago, I started experiencing cold-like symptoms along with stomach ache - more of a bloating feeling. it came along with mild diahrea and heart burn. i also had a nagging, low pain headache and foggy/hazy feeling. a couple times i was slightly dizzy. the symptoms didn't got better as quickly as i usually get over an illness, and my stomach ache/gut ache got worse when I ate a meal (when i felt hungry). with rest over the weekend, my stomach/gut got mostly better, just nagging discomfort. today, i went out to shovel our latest snow, felt pretty good, but did get chilled. when i came in after i was done, my body was tingly, red and had hives all over it. my face was swollen a bit too. i did not eat anything before i shoveled, and had a normal meal, whole grain pasta and meat sauce, lettuce salad, for dinner last night. i took benedryl about an hour ago, and feel a little dizzy, (benedryl??) and the hives have partly subsided. any ideas? was in Mexico 3 weeks before symptoms happened, so don't suspect that, but thought it worth mentioning
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please meet your doctor! Detailed Answer: Hello! From your complaints it looks like that you have developed an allergic reaction to something , this need not be only your food, it can be some plant material or an insect bite, for this you have to be examined by a doctor! You have done a correct thing by taking benadryl, and the dizziness may be due to it, however it can also be due to fall in blood pressure because of the allergic reaction therefore i dont think you should take it lightly and call your doctor immediately. The pain after eating food suggests that you are having some acidity problem and this may be due to the spicy mexican food or irregular meal times, this will generally subside in a few days if you eat properly at correct times! If however, you persist to have the stomach complaints, i would recommend that you meet your gastro entrologist for further tests and advice. Meanwhile, avoid smoking and drinking, spicy and oily food and take lots of green leafy vegetables , that will help Get well soon Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj