What causes cold intolerance, shivering, breathing difficulty, hyperventilation and dizziness?

Dr. Eric Goldstein

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Child Health
Question: my daughter plays soccer. While she is running she gets really cold with shivers even though its 80degrees and states she has hard time breathing and is dizzy and she will hyperventilate. We have taken her to lung doctor, heart doctor and her blood tested for thyroid problems and everything is fine. She just
had her first game this Saturday and it freaked me out because she was sweating so bad but she was
freezing and hyperventilating. I don't know what to do. She loves to play. I want her to quit but she
begs to stay.
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Soccer

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I just read through your question.
The first thing that comes to mind mind when I hear a story like this is something called "exercise induced asthma". The treatment is to take 2 puffs of an asthma inhaler approximately 15 minutes prior to any exercise. This will typically prevent any constriction of the lungs that can cause hyperventilation during exercise. You mentioned she was seen by a pulmonologist. I believe this possibility should be discussed.
It sounds like the cardiologist ruled out anything involving the heart, that is good.
Another possibility could be related to hormones. You mentioned her thyroid function was normal. However, if the use of an inhaler doesn't help, it's worth a visit to a pediatric endocrinologist who would do a full hormonal study.

I understand you want her to quit because you are concerned for her health and well being. I do believe, however, that any kid who wants to participate in physical activity should be able. I'm sure you feel the same.
these are a few suggestions that may lead to the answer. Then we can send her out on to the field without worry.
Follow up: Dr. Eric Goldstein 18 minutes later
The pulmonary dr provided 2 different inhalors and they did not work. She has had a treadmill test with lung test after she gets off machine and it was normal. Dr if you saw the way my daughter looks after playing its scary. She has been playing since she was 4 and in elementary school complained that it would hurt to breath when she runs but we just thought it was normal so ignored it. But the last couple of years have been the worst. Not understanding why she would be freezing when its hot. And difficulty breathing is the scariest.
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow Up

Detailed Answer:
I believe you.
The first thing I would do is double check with your pediatrician and make sure it is medically safe to have her on the soccer field to begin with.
Then I would discuss the possibility of a full evaluation by a pediatric endocrinologist.