What causes cold intolerance in an elderly person?

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Elderly Problems
Question: My wife of 61 years, she's 80, is in good health except that she always seems to be cold. We keep the house at 77 degrees all the time, which is comfortable for me but too cold for her. She wears a sweatshirt to stay warm. What would cause this ?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible hypothyroid

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

Your wife has been complaining about being cold all the time despite warm temperatures. She may have low thyroid condition. This is the gland that regulates a person's metabolism. If her metabolism is low then she would feel cold all the time. She also may have anemia. Low blood counts will also make a person feel cold because they don't have enough blood pumping I would recommend that she be seen by her medical provider and have lab tests screening for anemia and thyroid.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions