What causes cold hands while on Keppra?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 27 Jul 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: Sir/Mam

86 year old wife in final stages of AHD. Started on 1000mg keppra daily 1 week ago to prevent seizures. Has developed noticeably colder hand condition. Condition returns to normal with rubbing and motion. Is this a common condition with Keppra ? Any recommended actions to reduce or eliminate?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not a common side effect of Keppra.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HealthcareMagic.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Cold hands is not a common adverse effect of Keppra use, but it may happen in rare cases especially in the long-term use of Keppra.

Despite the cause, the best thing to prevent or improve cold hands is to move them (actively or passively).

Avoiding low-temperature ambients and wearing gloves also may help in improving this issue.

Hope you found the answer helpful. Feel free to ask further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee