question-icon

What causes cold feet and lower legs?

Posted on Mon, 9 May 2016
Question: Yes, I have been experiencing cold feelings in my feet and lower legs

I run and have a good pulse in my feet so I don't think its pad
Answered by Dr. Meriton Siqeca (31 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
A test should be carried out.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir. Thank you for your question and welcome to HCM. I understand your concern.

Well, this probably may be nothing to worry about. However, according to your age of 74 years old, knowing that normal aging process is accompanied with some physiological changes to the organism, does not allow me to just say "there is nothing to worry about". Therefore, my main suspicion, although not high, is about changes/blockages within peripheral arteries. A blockade in the peripheral arteries (main leg arteries or their branches) may be manifested as coldness of extremities and/or pain in calves during physical activity which requires some intensity of leg engagement. In this context, I would recommend to carry out a echo Doppler of your peripheral arteries, to judge about the blood flow in these arteries. If nothing is revealed, then there is nothing to worry about. If something is suspicious in this exam, then a contrast computed tomography (CT) of your peripheral arteries may be recommended. Based on these tests' results, further recommendations/treatment may be needed. Therefore, my opinion is that you should do the first test, first.

I hope my answet is helpful to your situation. I am happy to help, if you have follow-up questions.

My kind regards,
Dr. Meriton
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Meriton Siqeca

Cardiologist