What causes cold feet and legs?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Elderly Problems
Question: why do I have very cold feet and legs ?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may be due to peripheral vascular disease or nerve related condition

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The cold sensation may be related to issues with the nervous system or arterial circulation.
There are 2 basic types of circulation- (1)the venous/veins, where blood is taken back to the heart and lungs to get more oxygen and (2) the arterial/arteries, where blood is taken to the parts of the body that need it, in this case the legs

Cold sensation may be due to abnormal nerve function causing the cold feeling or a decrease in the blood supply/arterial supply to the legs- what persons may call peripheral vascular disease

Your doctor would be able to determine which one is present by feeling for the pulses in the lower limb and also by testing the nerves by different examination techniques.

The cause would affect the treatment.

Peripheral vascular disease is treated by :
(a)treating factors that may worsen it like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, smoking
(b)activity
(C)medication

Nerve related condition would be treated by trying to find the cause and medication if it is severe or bothersome.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions