question-icon

What causes cold during teething?

Posted on Fri, 18 Jul 2014
Question: My nine month old is teething and he has been more fussy than he has ever been. Tonight after giving him his bottle and some Tylenol I was rocking him to sleep for comfort and noticed he was cold and clammy. Is this from teething?
Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh (38 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Yes it might be from teething.

Detailed Answer:
Some babies are fussier than usual when they are teething.
This may be because of soreness and swelling in the gums before a tooth comes through.
Use a clean finger (or cold teething ring) to gently rub your baby's gum for about 2 minutes at a time.
Pain may be relived by paracetamol.

Cold and clammy skin may be due to several reason like pain from teething or rarely due to poor peripheral circulation. Sometimes cold clammy skin can be absolutely normal and will go on its own.

I suggest you to see the doctor and rule out any heart murmurs if problem persists / recurs.

Hope I helped you, feel free to ask further query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh

Pediatrician