What causes cold, cough and throat irritation?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 25 Oct 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I've had a bad smell in my nose when breathing in...has persisted a few months and started when I had a bad cold with a cough and scratchy throat for a couple months. So strong I can't smell anything but the rancid smell, and I can't taste food. Recently experiencing some sinus pressure now too. I've been bringing my mom's dirty laundry home from Memory care facility for years to make sure the smell of urine is out, but my sister noticed a strong ammonia smell in my trunk last week from the soiled sheets and clothes. I could not smell it. Please help.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sinusitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for putting up the query
The bad smell is probably due to bacterial infection in the sinuses. you should get a xray paranasal sinuses done and send me the picture so that I can suggest you better.
Take a fluticasone nasal spray twice daily and take tablet levocetrizine plus psuedophedrine twice daily for a week.
Do nasal wash with a solution of distilled water 200 ml and a punch if tablet salt and soda bicarbonate. This will help to wash off the nasal secretions.
All the medicine prescribed by me will be available only on prescription.
Follow up with the reports.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng