What causes cold and cough in a diabetic?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in Diabetes
Question: I am a 40 year old female diabetic that just
hands get ice cold during a night attack.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Some further information needed;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
Before giving you some suggestions I would ask you for some further information:
-What do you mean with '' night attack'' can you describe better the situation?
-What is your current treatment of Diabetes?
-Did you check the blood sugar at that moment?
- Does you have other diseases except of Diabetes?
Will be a pleasure to help you further.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 3 minutes later
it gets worse at night. I am currently off my meds. my blood sugar was fine at both hospitals.no other diseases.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Further exams:

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back!
As you are not taking treatment for Diabetes and the blood sugar is not altered without treatment, than the situation you described can not be due to glucose alterations. Anyway i would suggest to keep a glucometer at home and check the blood sugar when you do not feel well.
I would recommend some further examinations (except of a detailed clinical examination) to try to find out the cause;
-ECG and a 24 hour blood pressure monitoring
-A full blood count and ESR
-Proteine C reactive
-TSH, FT4 and Ft3 (thyroid function tests)
-Electrolites (Na, K, CL)
-A morning urine sample

You should also monitor the body temperature.

Wish you good health,
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 11 hours later
can heart issues affect the digestive system? I have been experiencing a light cough for a year now but contribute it to smoking.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
About your concern;

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
As chronic cough can be caused by many pathologies and a check x Ray will give further information about the cause of the cough but it should not be under valuated.
Regarding to the relation of the cardiac pathologies with the digestive system; yes, there are some cardiac pathologies that can be manifested with gastro intestinal symptoms.
For example; myocardial infarction can be manifested with a burning feeling in the stomach.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad