What causes cognitive impairment after stroke?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Dear Doctor
My mother got Brain Stroke in the last year August 2015. She is 76 yrs old and bedridden for the past 1 year. For last 2 months, she can able to recollect few things. She is now worrying that it has come to her. Until before her memory was not stable so she cant able to recollect. Now she can able to recollect few things. She is Diabetes and has BP. Her right side got affected completely. She lost weight in this time. Now she is taking food in semi solid manner.
1. Is there any possibility of recovering or atleast able to sit in chair for few hours.
2. Is there any possibility to regain energy by some medicine or energy drink

Attached is the report of her.

Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
She is on correct treatment.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and would try my best to help you.

I have noted the medical details and neurologist's prescription of your mother. She is on correct medicines.

For improvement, you are right. She needs good exercises and good food. There is a scope of recovery for upto two years after stroke, so, another year of improvement is expected.

High protein diet, such as eggs, milk, pulses, soyabean, dry fruits, chicken/fish (if non-veg) would help her a lot.

I sincerely hope my reply has helped you.

I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information.

Best wishes,     
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX
For DIRECT QUERY to me: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 22 hours later
Dear Sir

Thank you for the response and answer my query.

Adding to this, one questions sir.

Could you please recommend any energy drink available in store with those mixed ingredients or in general any energy drink for my mother.

Thank you sir again.
Brief Answer:
Various options are there

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

There are various energy drinks available in market. They are safe and effective. These include Herbalife Afresh energy drink mix, Gatorade Sports Drink, Fast and Up Malto gel Fast energy, etc. She can use any one of them.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)