What causes clot like vaginal discharge after child birth?

Dr. M Y Shareef

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: My girlfriend gave birth bout 5 days ago and she went to pee to the bathroom and she said like a big clot came out of her. Is that normal please help.
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 2 minutes later
Hi XXXX! Good morning. I am Dr Shareef answering your query.
No this is not nromal. I would suggest you to see your obstetrician for a physical examination and a possible ultrasound of abdomen for a diagnosis and further management. It might not be possible to suggest the treatment on line in such cases. Wishing her an early recovery.
Follow up: Dr. M Y Shareef 7 minutes later
What abnormalities have u seen like that. Like people have died ??
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 3 days later
Brief Answer:
Need to exclude a few common conditions.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX! Good afternoon.

I had suggested you to see the obstetrician because any part of a retained placenta post delivery could give rise to such bleeding, and also some of the retained clots might come out this way. One has to make sure that there are no more clots left inside which is not very infrequent. A physical examination along with an ultrasound abdomen could clear this.

I hope I have cleared your doubt. Good luck.

Dr Shareef