What causes clicking sounds while moving the hands or being lifted?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Mon, 6 Aug 2018 in General Health
Question: Hi doc. My son will turn 10 month old on Feb 2nd. My baby has started to stand up by furniture, crawls fast, has got 3 teeth now. His first teeth came at 9 th month. Is it considered a delay? Lately, my mom mentioned that she hears a clicking sound when he is lifted or moves his hands. This happened few times . We give him vitamin d drops regularly. But since we are from XXXXXXX & it's extremely polluted , we don't take him outside in sun that much. Should we worry?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 29 hours later
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Brief Answer:
No need to worry if you are continuing vitamin d supplementation

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
The developmental milestones like standing with support and crawling by this age is normal. Teething started at 9 months of age is also normal. Dentition is called delayed when teething does not start by 13 months of age.
Clicking sound at joints can be due to movement of articular cartilage and is seen commonly in this age.At this age the joints are not matured and should be handled carefully.
Always pick the child gently and joints should not be overstretched or pulled with her.
I can understand your concern regarding the polluted environment and it is always better to avoid that. Exposure to sunlight helps in vitamin D production by skin but there are certain disadvantages of sun exposure that is exposure to ultraviolet rays. So if vitamin d supplementation is going on, you need not to worry about the sunlight exposure.
I would suggest you to continue the supplementation till one year of age.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana