What causes clicking sound in the ear?

Posted on Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: my husband has "clicking" in the ear. It is depriving him of sleep! What is the cause and correction of this problem?
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: eustachian tube dysfunction. Detailed Answer: Hi, The eustachian tube connects the inside of the ear to the back of the nose. It maintains atmospheric pressure inside the ear. The tube tends to malfuction when there is a cold, allergies of the nose, tumours behind the nose, sudden changes in atmospheric pressure as occurs when flying or diving. In many instances inspite of looking carefully the cause of the malfunction remains unknown. Dysfunction of the tube can produce hearing loss, clicking, blowing or buzzing sounds and sometimes pain. Please see an ENT specialist to ascertain the cause of the eustachian tube dysfunction. Till then you can use decongestant nose drops like otrivin. Instill 3 drops in each nostril 3 times a day for 5 days. Follow it up with steam inhalation. For proper method of instillation please see the instructions on the crimp. You can also blow balloons or chew gum to keep the tubes patent. Regards, Dr Rajkishori Godhi.
Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist