What causes clicking sensation in joints?

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi there,
Can you help me with what is going on with me lately.
I'm 30 year old male and the last week i have noticed that my joints etc seem to be clicking.
The main areas are my wrists, shoulders, ankles, hands and hips.
My shoulder clicking seems to hurt now and am a little concerned.
When i stand up from a sitting position my knee clicks or my hip does which i have never noticed before.
When i move my head also my neck seems to click.
Any idea what could be going on?
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not a problem if there is no pain.

Detailed Answer:
I have read your question and I want to assure you that sound which is coming from your joint is not uncommon. It is commonly seen in thin individuals. It is commonly occurs when synoviyal fluid is less in joint which helps in lubrication.
Before I advise you any treatment I want to know a little detail about your illness.
1. Is it also associated with pain and swelling?
2. Are you having clicking all the time or some time?
3. Are you also having morning stiffness associated with it.
Please send me answers of these questions. I will try my best to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 4 minutes later
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I have no swelling but just pain in my left shoulder and sometimes in my wrist.

The clicking is there about 80% of the time.

I have no morning stiffness at all.

What causes a lack of fluid you mention?

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If there is no pain and stiffness then it is good

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir,
Fluid is made by joint lining called synoviyum and it can be low due to lack of nutrition. But if there is no pain and swelling and there is no morning stiffness then there is nothing to be worried about.
I would suggest you to take calcium and vitamin D3 for a month. Some time low calcium can also cause such symptoms. Also take high protein diet like egg,fish and chicken. As your muscle strength will improve this pain will disappear.
I hope this answer will be useful for you. Let me know if you want to ask any followup questions.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 14 minutes later
Thanks for the reply,

So even thought there is a little pain in my shoulder i shouldn't be worried about it?

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 33 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes if it is not very bad pain

Detailed Answer:
You need not be worried about sound . As far as pain in shoulder is concerned, I would suggest you to take pain killer if pain is very much. If your pain increases then you can get MRI of the shoulder to see if there is any cuff tear or bursitis is present.
I hope this answers your query. Let me know if you want to ask any other question.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T