What causes clicking noise in ears and dizziness?

Posted on Fri, 26 Sep 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Have had loud clicking noise in ears when I swallow, ever since I had a bad summer cold at age 18, 40 years ago. Have had tinnitus off and on since 20 years ago when I went swimming in the ocean in Trinidad, although loud music over the years has no doubt been a factor. One month ago got sudden onset of tinnitus and extreme sensitivity to sound, both in only the right ear. Had exact same symptoms 10 years ago which eventually subsided, and I concluded that taking lecithin is what cured it (so far hasn't worked this time). The extreme tinniness and rattling of right ear in response to external sound is far more distressing than the tinnitus. Next to no trouble sleeping. Doctors say no wax visible, tests show pressure is normal, big hearing loss in right ear. I still think eustachian tube dysfunction must be factor. Wonder if Ear Popper device, which streams air into eustachian tube, might clear the eustachian tubes. (they cost $150.00 which I would gladly pay if I knew it would work). Am scheduled for MRI and "dizziness test". Clicking noise got worse in conjunction with other symptoms. Only had dizziness (mild) for first day after onset of symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Meniere's disease with Eustachian tube dysfunction

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query and an elaborate history.

I have gone through the history thoroughly and understood your problem. I will try my best to help you in this regard.

The description given by you seems to be related to a condition of the ear called Meniere's disease. Your age, the symptoms of tinnitus, dizziness and hearing loss do fit into this condition. The tinnitus is because of the damage to the sensitive inner ear nerves, which is also evidenced by the audiological investigations.

Secondly, Eustachian tube dysfunction will not cause the hearing loss even though, it may cause tinnitus. Clicking noise could be either related to the former condition or temporo-mandibular joint dysfunction. Examination of the oral cavity and the joint can clear all the doubts. I have my own reservations regarding the use of the ear popper, but, you can definitely try one.

My suggestions to you are:
1. To get all the vestibular tests done along with MRI to rule out CP angle tumors. This will narrow down the diagnosis.
2. Drink lots of warm water.
3. Do steam inhalation regularly
4. Avoid coffee/tea/salty food/smoking/alcohol/loud music.

Hope this piece of information has been helpful to you. Revert back to me if you any further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Thanks doctor. I will follow your advice. What are the possible treatments for Meniere's disease?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Salt restricted diet and Betahistine...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

Ménière's disease treatment includes
1. Dietary - particularly a low-salt diet
2. Medication to treat and prevent attacks such as betahistine. Betahistine reduces the pressure of the fluid in your inner ear, relieving the symptoms of Ménière's disease.
3. Vestibular rehabilitation exercises to cope with balance problems.
4. Vitamin B 12 to rejuvenate the traumatized, sensitive inner ear nerves.

In our practice we do follow the above mentioned methods routinely to treat Ménière's disease.

Hope I have cleared your doubts. I wish you good health and speedy recovery.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Thank-you very much, doctor. That makes me feel more hopeful.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wish you good luck and good health

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Welcome back

I wish you good luck and good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist