What causes clear mucus discharge from rectum during urination?

Posted on Sat, 13 Jun 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have mucus in my stool, and clear mucus comes out of my rectum when I urinate. I have leakage constantly coming from my rectum. I can't hold my stool, when I feel the urge I have to go to the bathroom right now or I'll crap my pants. I always have to be close to a bathroom, this is effecting my life it is vary debilitating. I did some research on line, and my symptoms indicate I possibly have internal rectal intussusception or solitary rectal ulcer syndrome or anal fissure. I don't know what I should do, should I go to emergency. I'm scared can you help me.
Answered by Dr. Karen Steinberg 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
First see your primary care doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for using Healthcare Magic. Sorry about the wait. Sometimes it takes awhile, depending on who is on line.

My first thought was this could be a fistula, which is an abnormal tube-like connection between different body parts. In your case, I would be thinking of a connection between your urinary tract and gastrointestinal tract. Urine exiting from the rectum could give the appearance of mucus, and constant flow could create the sense of urgency.

Anal fissures are generally quite painful and wouldn't necessarily cause the urgency, although a bad fissure that goes deep could eventually develop into a fistula. A rectal ulcer is a possibility. Intussusception is generally painful and associated with nausea, vomiting, and later in the course rectal bleeding. The pain may be intermittent but the presentation is generally more acute and dramatic. It sounds like your symptoms have been going on awhile, so this may be less likely.

If you are not having severe pain and other symptoms, including fever, and this has indeed been a few days, then there is no need to go to the emergency room. First I recommend you get a prompt appointment with your primary care physician. S/he can do an examination and get an idea what it might be, possibly do some imaging studies, and/or refer you to a gastroenterologist or general surgeon.

The gastroenterologist could do a sigmoidoscopy to look at the lower part of your large intestine and rectum for a rectal ulcer or other lesion. You might need a general surgeon if repair of a fistula is needed. Intussusception may also require surgery.

You might have another condition such as ulcerative colitis or Crohn's colitis which could be detected by sigmoidoscopy/colonoscopy. These conditions can also cause urgency, mucus production, and loss of control, and can create fistulas.

In any case, start with your primary doctor and go from there. If the symptoms are severe, especially if associated with nausea, vomiting, fever, or rectal bleeding, then go the emergency room.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further questions, I would be happy to answer them.
Dr. Karen Steinberg