What causes clear discharge from nipples?

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Thu, 15 May 2014 in Cancer
Question: My right nipple has clear discharge when squeeze in the mornings thr discharge is only like half a tear drop
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
COnsiderations

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the question,

This is something which does need some followup. Very commonly benign breast changes can lead to a discharge sich as this. At the same time we want to rule out more worrisome processes such as a cancer or inflammatory changes which may be playing a role.

I would suggest a consultation with a breast specialist - usually a surgeon - who specializes in diseases of the breast. A good clinical exam and likely a mammagram should be done. From there additional studies may be requested including possibly a cytology study where some of the fluid is sent to a pathologist for examination. Additinal imaging including ultrasound or possibly MRI may be considered.

I think a stepwise approach is indicated in your case and the first stop would likely be with the breast surgeon.

Thanks again for the query,

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Follow up: Dr. Robert Galamaga 45 minutes later
I also read that discharge is raerly a symtom of cancer. Could it be hormonal and could it be normal which I've also read. What type of benign conditions go with this and I aslo kind of noticied that months ago but never paid attention till now. Also should I stop squeezing and maybe it'll go away.
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
thanks for the follow up.

I would definitely recommend that you decrease any manipulation of the nipple for the time being. You're correct that cancer does not typically present with a discharge like this.

Inflammatory diseases of the breast or sometimes a blocked memory duct can sometimes cause discharge like you are describing.

You're also absolutely correct that hormonal changes and fluctuations can affect breast tissue and potentially a discharge.

I am not suspecting any type of cancer in your case. I still think it is reasonable for you to visit with a breast specialist for a focused consultation with physical examination and possibly some laboratory studies.

Thanks again for sending your question. I hope we have provided you with some additional reassurance going forward.

Dr. Galamaga