What causes clay colored stool with mucus?

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: What causes clay colored stool with mucus? I have been having bloating and indigestion at night for a week. Abdominal pain all over, not hungry, bloating and gas if I do eat. Today had clay poop with mucus
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Should be further investigated.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

I have gone through your query and understand the concern.

Clay colored stool with mucus, bloating, indigestion and abdominal pain symptoms are likely related to the problems of hepato-biliary system (the bile system inside liver) or bowel infection.

For that I would suggest you to consult a Gastroenterologist for thorough evaluation and management.

He will go for a physical examination and complete medical history with various tests like routine blood works,urinalysis,stool tests,ultrasound abdomen and HIDA scan to see the integrity of hepatobiliary system with HBsAg, antiHCV, Liver Function tests etc.

Management depends upon the underlying cause with the help of laboratory tests.

Meanwhile, you should take symptomatic over the counter medications and dietary precautions to get relieved from this bloating,indigestion and abdominal pain.

1) You may consider changing the Cap.Omeprazole to Pantoprazole 40 mg with Tab.Gas-X twice daily to get relieved from the symptoms of bloating and abdominal pain.

2) Syrup Digene 2 TSF three times a day will also be helpful.

3) Avoid hot,oily and spicy foods.

5) Avoid eating full stomach one at a time rather, take small meals frequently.

6) Have soft diet only for few weeks.

7) Avoid complex carbohydrates like beans, potato and carbonated beverages and milk based products which are hard to digest.

8) Quit alcohol or smoking if you do.

9) Drink plenty of water and fruit juices the day.

10) There are certain digestive enzymes (Uni-enzymes) available over the counter which will also be helpful in the digestion of carbohydrates and minimize the gas production.

Hope this helps.

Dr.Sandip Kabra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee