question-icon

What causes chronic right-sided lower back pain?

Posted on Sat, 30 May 2015
Question: Hi...Im 55 and have several med needs one is that I seem to fall a lot I fell2x 2010 which ended up causing chronic pain in my r side low back I've had mris that shows degeneration in my c spine, mid to low l spine. I also just found out I have arthrtitis in my shoulder and elbow my question is what specialist should I see re the reason for the falls and is it possible to get pain medicine called into my pharmacy like Narco (just a small amount) I cant take anything with ibuprofen bcause I only have 1/2 kidney working...my right one is atrophied the left 50%. Thank you so much for your time and attention
Answered by Dr. BR Hudda (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
You should consult a physician to find out the reason for fall

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I share your concern
At the outset, I would like to know about your history of fall.
Do you feel giddiness, blurred vision or black out during
If all these symptoms are not there than this could be a muscle disease like myasthenia gratis or poor muscle tone

Degenerative change in spine can be age related, so I would advise you to take multivitamin and calcium supplements along with exercises under guidance of a physiotherapist

You can take acetaminophen for pain on need based, which is comparatively a safer drug

In my opinion you should consult a physician for examination, recording of blood pressure and a battery of investigations to establish a cause for fall

Waiting for your response
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. BR Hudda (21 hours later)
Thank you so much for your time. I will consult a doctor re: falls as to your question no, no dizziness or blackouts...just an off balance feel like my feet have a mind of their own...Thanks again Dr. Hudda

XXXX
Answered by Dr. BR Hudda (8 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
You should book an appointment for a neurologist

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for your reply
You should consult a neurologist whenever you get an appointment
In my opinion such symptoms appears in parkinson disease or neuropathy( nerve disease)

A neurologist can confirm it by clinical examination and a battery of tests on you,

Meanwhile take extra precautions while standing up or walking
Always carry some support to walk

Wishing you good health and vitality
Dr. BR Hudda