What causes chronic right abdominal and lower back pain?
Detailed history please.
Thanks for your query.
To recapitulate:Female/41- wants to find the reason.
Read and understood your problem of chronic right abdominal and low pain for which you have seen many specialists and done all investigations, nothing positive is found.
Chiropractor also says negative about muscles or bones- says not related.
A detailed history alone can help us to solve the problem. May I please know the following?
- Since when have you got this problem?
- Type of pain - dull / twisting/ throbbing/ cutting/Burning / any other sensation?
- Relation to food? Relieving factors?
- Enhancing factors?
- Loose stool / constipation?
- Any back pain?
- Radiation to back / shoulder/ to private parts or leg?
- MRI of the spine done?
- Any information you would like to share.
- Any relation to menstrual periods?
- Any history of trauma like an accident / Surgery?
If the history is very detailed and coherent, 90 % of the diagnosis can be made.
Please tell me the details and share all the history even though you may feel it not to be related to the present problems. This way we can try to find out the reasons.
Many a times a Diagnostic Laparoscopy can help to find and even treat the reason.
Pain is on lower right side of back and on lower right side, under the lower rib. It feels like someone is grabbing me at my side 24/7.
Nausea, and chronic fatigue.
Clinical Examination by a General Surgeon - MRI of spine.
Thanks for your feedback.
- It is almost 2 years.
- feels like someone is grabbing at the side 24/7
- You must have been seeing the Urologist, I suppose - for kidney infection.
- Pain medication does not work
- lower right side of back and on lower right side, under the lower rib
I would think of the following:
-Root compression of the nerve supplying this area of pain_ MRI of the thoracic spine can diagnose this.
- Intravenous pyelography to see the ureters and kidneys. This may show a partially blocked Ureter.
- Retro-cecal Appendicitis that caused fibrosis as a sequel
- Abscess / spasm if the ilio-psoas muscles.
- Retro-peritoneal fibrosis
* These condition can be diagnosed on MRI or CT scan, if the radiologist knows your symptoms and he also knows what to see for.
The following medicines may be tried in consultation of your Doctor as you need a valid prescription:
Gabapentin for pain relief and to see whether it helps or not. It it helps the theory of Neurological pain can be established.
Clinical / actual physical examination by a General Surgeon.
Please discuss there points with your Doctor to get further investigations and getting an early treatment.
If there is a pain, there has to be a reason.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Causes lower back pain
- What gastro problems cause lower back pain
- Having lower back pain what could be the cause
- What causes abdominal painlower back pain and spotting
- What causes abdominal and lower back pain
- What can cause lower back pain
- What causes lower back pain for women
- Chronic back pain causes
- What causes mild lower back pain
- What causes lower back pain with stomach pain