What causes chronic recurring pain in left abdomen?

Dr. Mukund Savaskar

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I am experiencing "coming & going" pain in my abdomen, THE LEFT side. Just under the lowest rib cage area to left side
When I tuck my stomack in pain seems to go away, lessens!
Recently (week ago)I ate some walnuts, they were bad!! and made me sick, for 2 days my stool was liquid and bloody. Now that is back to normal I am experiencing these pains.
Pain goes away, or lessens when I can release some gas, urinate or go to restroom ,but it all seems to slow down.
Also, I have experienced these SAME pains 4-5 times a week in the last 6-8 months. It would start and lasted only15-20 seconds, maybe once a day.
Can you help me or can I answer any other questions
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chronic Recurring pains in left abdomen?Under Investigation

Detailed Answer:
Your Health Concern-Recurring pains in left abdomen?Under Investigation

Hi,Welcome with your query to HCM.
I reviewed your query details.You seem to have recurring waxing and waning of left abdominal pains for last 6-8 mths time.
The chronology of events suggests that mostly you have-Chronic Entero-Colitis earlier.
Bad bout of walnuts exacerbated in to Acute EnteroColitis with bloody Dysentery from which You seem to have recovered.
In such a scenario,I would suggest you to check with physician and Surgeon if need be.
Routine Check of Blood / urine / stool for ova,cyst,
Treat the Colitis with enteritis by Tab Oflox +Metrogyl x 10 days
After recovery from this treatment,I would suggest a
Proctoscopy from Surgeon,
Colonoscopy for Left lower and transverse colon.
CT contrast Study of the colon.
Clinical Impression of the Waxing and Waning left abdominal pain-
Possibility of IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome) with Colitis needs to be worked up and needs to be treated accordingly.
Possibility of Diveritculosis and Cancer of Colon also needs to be ruled out, just to study and find a remedy for a Coming and Going type of Colonic Pain.

General Guidelines to avoid Recurrent Attacks of Such Acute Entero-Colitis-for next 3 mths time-
Avoid Street/ Junk food/Hotel food
Be on Bland Diet with High fiber and Low spices.
Plenty of fluids.
Butter Milk 2 times a day
Banana Milk Shake 2 times a day
Tab Zincovit

Hope this reply would resolve the worry you have for last 8 mths time and would guide you to plan further treatment with your doctors.

Keep me updated on the progress of the investigation and its findings after each of the month.

Welcome with any other query in this regard.

If you find this reply satisfactory,Will appreciate you to write excellent feedback review comments,for just to help needy patient visitors like you,at the HCM services.

Wishing you fast recovery.
Good Day!!

Dr.SavasKar M.N. XXXXXXX Surgical Specialist
M.S.Genl-CVTS

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad