What causes chronic pain in the fingers?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: Hi my name is XXXXXXX XXXX. I have had excruciating pain in my fingers for many years and the past 5 years it has become much worse. When at last I was able to visit a rheumatologist she took X-rays and diagnosed me erosive osteoarthritis. My hands have become so bad that I can hardly do anything and my index fingers nails are brown with vertical lines. Now they say that they think I have psoriatic arthritis. Could this be possible. My X-rays last week should extensive damage.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is likely psoriatic arthritis!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and so sorry to hear about this disease condition.

The nail changes and radiologic evidence of erosive osteoarthritis are pretty suggestive of psoriasis. I can see you are already on a good number of medications targeting this disease condition and I will encourage you to follow treatment close. Be reminded that these drugs weaken the immune system and as such you should pay attention to personal hygiene and promptly report new symptoms especially of fever.

I wish you well and the best possible outcome. I believe these medications will greatly reduce any further joint damage and help you function better again.

Keep me posted ...
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Thank you for your reply. Can this spread to other joints in the body or will it stay in my hands. They say I will have to up the dose of Methotrexate considerably if it has to have any effect. Would you think that this is the way to go or try some of the other medications. I am aware of some of the side effects and feel quite anxious about this

I do not have psoriasis but my mother has
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
This is the standard of care!

Detailed Answer:

Your medications are well adapted for erosive osteoarthritis. Monitoring and adjusting the dosage is all that is required. Unless something else comes up, changing medications would be unlikely.

Bother not about the side effects. Not many persons get to develop them but it is always good to educate our clients about them just in case. Because you are educated and aware, this empowers you and allows for early diagnosis and management of any arising effect from this. This should rather make you feel less anxious than too anxious.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana