• question-icon

What causes chronic kidney disease?

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Hi sir my husband age 36 yrs undergone some tests due to gastric trouble ,reports resulted non localozation of left kidney in renal fossa and right kidney shows grade 2 renal parenchymal changes with loss of corticomedullary differentiation ,grade 1 fatty liver , is this a serious health condition.pls suggest what can be done for this
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer....yes it appears to be serious and you need to consult a nephrologist as early as possible.
Detailed answer....
I have read your query and understand your concern.
Your question has three queries and I will ask them one by one.
1....non localisation of left kidney in renal fossa means that kidney is not there in its usual position. After birth kidneys tend to move up and reach near rib cage. Sometimes this process gets arrested and one kidney doesn't move up.
2....in normal kidney both outer layer of kidney ( cortex ) and inner layer of kidney ( medulla ) are seen as different shades on ultrasound. In chronic kidney disease cases both appear as one and their distinction is lost. 
3... Grade 1 fatty liver means deposition of fats in liver which could be due to consumption of alcohol or high fatty diet. Nothing dangerous in it at the moment but needs some lifestyle modifications like exercises and less intake of fats.
For first two points you need to consult a nephrologist for detailed investigations and then proper management after finding the exact cause.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Is this health issue related to nephrology or kidneys is curable ,what is the process to cure , is it curable using medicines or requires any surgery. Also is there any relation between gastric trouble and kidneys issue
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
Ultrasound report indicates chronic kidney disease,however it has to ascertained properly that it indeed is chronic kidney disease.
If chronic kidney disease ( CKD ) is really present,then it is not curable.
Treatment consists of medical treatment which controls your symptoms,reduce complications and slow down the progression of kidney disease. However sooner or later such patients proceed to end stage kidney disease where kidney becomes severely damaged. Such patients,then,require kidney transplant.
As far as his gastric problems is concerned,they may or may not be related to kidney problems.
I advise you not to get panicky and consult a nephrologist who will investigate him thoroughly and then start treatment.
Best of luck to you.
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Is there any symptoms, that shows existence of chronic kidney disease.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 7 hours later
Symptoms may develop very slowly and are not very specific.
Sometimes there may not be any symptoms.
Patient may experience fatigue,generalised itching,loss of appetite,nausea,vomiting,unintentional weight loss,sensation of pins and needles,swelling etc.
In your husbands case,his gastric troubles could be the symptoms of chronic kidney disease.
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta