What causes chronic fever while on Gabapentin and Ativan for seizures?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I'm a 46 yr old female I had a grand mal seizure 9 months ago. Currently being treated with Topamax, Gabapentin (headaches & sleep) Ativan. No family or personal history of seizure. Reasons given were lack of sleep, stress, dehydration & unknowingly stopped taking the Ativan for 4 days. Question is I have developed chronic fevers (over 100.5) since I've been on the seizure meds this is my 4th medication and easiest to function on. Can the meds be causing these fevers and with no history of seizures and none since, what are dangers of getting of the medications?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably side effects of gabapentin and/or topamax.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Fever is one of the possible side effects of both, topamax and gabapentin use, so, the answer to your question is yes, these drugs are most likely causing your fever.

Anti-epileptic drugs are started usually after the second seizure.

Imaging such brain MRI is necessary when a seizure comes out of nowhere to exclude structural brain causes such tumors, arteriovenous malformations etc.

If you stop antiseizure drugs, it is probably that seizures will restart.

It is advisable to have an EEG done before to stop these drugs to evaluate if there is any seizure activity or not.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 7 minutes later
Is it safe for ke to discontinue use if these medications all together over a step down period?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do an EEG first.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

If you had only one seizure episode, you can stop gradually these drugs, but EEG is necessary prior to this step.

Hope I helped you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar