What causes chronic dry nasal passages, shortness of breath and nausea?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello. I've had chronic dry nasal passages and shortness of breath with nausea. My nose is extremely dry, some crust, and blood (both in the nose and when cough). Some dry coughing. Feel really out of breath. Others are noticing too and worried. Could it be something serious? Who plan to follow up with doctor. Thank you in advance.
Answered by Dr. Jignesh Gorasia 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow simple remedies to get rid off dry crusty nose.

Detailed Answer:
I had gone through your question and i can understand your concern very well.

I would like to tell you that dry and crusty nose is a common problem and nothing to worry about it, but at the same time you need to take enough care of dry nose to prevent few complications like sinus infection, bleeding, breathing problems, etc. You are already having nasal bleeding and breathing problem and i guess that is just because of your dry and crusty nose. At this point of time, it doesn't seem to be any urgency or require any investigations.

I would recommend you few simple and effective tactics to get rid off dry crusty nose.

1. Drink plenty of liquids mainly water to hydrate your body. Minimum of 10 to 12 glasses a day.

2. Apply soft cotton dipped in semi solid coconut oil to the inside of each nostrils 2 to 3 times a day (before going to bed). You can also apply petroleum jelly also, but coconut oil is more effective and it will smell also good.

3. Almond oil with aloe vera gel is very effective and you can put swabs in each nostrils. It will also relieve the pain and crustiness. Saline nasal drops are also available in market and you can use that also to moisten your nostrils.

4. Inhale steam at regular intervals. You can breath deeply while inhaling hot water steam. I usually recommend to follow the steam inhalation by application of a moisturizer to sooth your nose.

Follow these simple remedies for few days and you will definitely feel better. I do not recommend you to take any kind of medications for dry nose.

Hope this will be helpful to you and feel free to ask any of your further relevant questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Follow up: Dr. Jignesh Gorasia 31 hours later
Thanks for your reply. You've only addressed the issue of my nose being dry. Really being short out of breath is the most concerning, if you can imagine. As it also causes some face tingling and headaches.I added additional details after I posed my question initially, but it does not look like they are listed anywhere, which is unfortunate. :( thanks for your help!
Answered by Dr. Jignesh Gorasia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May be due to sinusitis....

Detailed Answer:
Sorry, but I could not find any of your additional details, but still i will try to resolve your problem regarding breathlessness, tingling and headaches.

In my opinion, these all symptoms may be due to sinusitis. In that case, you need to take full course of higher antibiotics and for that i would recommend you to consult an ENT and confirm the diagnosis and act accordingly.

Hope this will help you. Let me know any of your further query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Jignesh Gorasia 1 hour later
Thank you SO much.
Answered by Dr. Jignesh Gorasia 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome...

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome anytime. Rate the answer before closing your query.
Dr. Jignesh Gorasia