Owl Image

What causes chronic constipation with muscus discharge?

Excellent

Nephrologist
Question
Please tell me what you think the following symptoms suggest:
chronic constipation, tissue descending when straining to defficate, and clear mucous discharge from my back passage which is increasing. These symptoms have been increasing in severity for the past year.

I consulted a doctor and he sent me for a colonoscopy, and it was clear, a couple of polyps which were benign, that was all he did.
Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rectal prolapse vs Hemorrhoids

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

In order to come to a better conclusion of the problem and then to guide you well I need to know a few more details

1.Have you noticed blood in stools?
2. Does the descending tissue go back on its own?
3. Have you noticed any swelling/mass near your anus?
4. Please mention the medications you are on currently?
5. What was the impression given by the doctor you visited

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: What causes chronic constipation with muscus discharge? 41 minutes later
No blood in stools, tissue does go back on its own.
No swelling/mass near anus once the laxatives and stool softners have worked.
Unless I use the laxatives/softners I am unable to go to the bathroom -- because it is extremely painful, and if I can "go" it is so painful and just a pea size comes out.
This problem started about a year/18 months ago with my feeling that I was unable to completely finish a bowel movement. It feels like part of it gets stuck half-way and cannot come out.
Plus my bowel movements are tiny little things. Prior to this I had no problems.

In the morning I am wet from the mucous discharge.

Now every w/end I have to stay home because I am taking laxatives, etc. as I am unable to go to the bathroom during the week when I am at work.

The doctor did not seem to know what it was, or did not give me any idea. Last week I received a letter from him with the result of the colonoscopy (polyps that were benign) and his recommendation for another colonoscopy in 5 years and no mention of my symptoms. I called his office and I have another appt. this week w/him.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rectal prolapse

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for getting back

Thanks for the detailed history. From the history you have given there are two things which are possible

1. Irritable bowel syndrome
2. Inflammatory bowel disease

This is how to go about it.

1. I strongly recommend that you get a biopsy done of the colonic mucosa, I have known atleast 2 patients who presented simialryl, all medications were tried with no relief and finally when biopsy was done it revealed inflammatory bowel disease which was treated successfully

2. Irritable bowel syndrome is a diagnosis of exclusion, I suggest that you continue to use laxatives and along with that use a pro biotic like sprolac three times daily. Avoid spicy food, oily food and milk

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

I hope I was of help

Follow-up: What causes chronic constipation with muscus discharge? 8 hours later
Thank you, your information and advice is very helpful.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello

Detailed Answer:
I am glad i was of help, you could write me a review, it makes me happy

Regards and have a nice day