What causes chronic constipation while on thyroid medication?
In spite of all efforts I am unable to lose weight.It is between 89-92 Kg for last 3 + Years
I am on Thyroid medication - Altroxin 0.75 a day early morning.
I have chronic constipation.
I do Rigorous exercises under a personal trainer for 1 hour 5 days a week.
Do regular yoga and pranayam.
Eat sparingly - B/f is generally fruits and Corn flakes/milk.
Lunch is veg/Pulses/salads 2 pcs of XXXXXXX Bread
Dinner is 2 -3 pieces of Chicken or fish ( no Red meat),Pulses, 2 chapatis. No rice
Non drinker,non smoker
Please suggest solution.
Fiber rich foods are essential
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.
I have gone carefully through the details. The thyroid hormones control Our metabolism and lack of those lead to slowing down of the bowel movements. Our bowels have a forward propulsive movement which moves the food forward as it is digested, absorbed and finally eliminated as feces. The key lies in regularization of the same. My suggestions would be to:
* Avoid long gaps between meals. Take small but frequent meals.
* Spicy food has to be avoided.
* It is very important to exercise regularly.
* High dietary fiber intake has to be ensured. Plenty of green leafy vegetables are to be taken. Fiber supplements like psyllium husk can also be taken along. This has to be taken daily at dinner irrespective of whether the problems are present.
* Please go through the following for a list of fiber rich foods:
* Continue yoga and pranayam.
Hopefully that would help.
I would further like your suggestions to lose weight given my medical condition.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Toddler chronic constipation causes
- Drugs/medication for chronic constipation
- What causes untreatable chronic constipation
- What is the diet for piles and chronic constipation
- A boy has chronic constipation what could be wrong
- Chronic constipation causes
- Can digoxin cause chronic constipation
- Can chronic constipation cause vaginal dryness
- Hidden causes of chronic constipation
- What causes chronic constipation and how is it treated