What causes choking after aspiration of vomit?
Ahh He had a similar episode around 4 years ago, at this time he was chewing a cookie, but he was OK afterwards.
- My brother is a healthy 23 y/o. Only issue he's had was congenital cataracts (which causes him to have very poor vision), he was born at 38 weeks via cesarean, even though he was full term he was premature size only weight 1300g and was in an incubator for a month before he went home. Had adenoids removed as a baby, and also multiple surgeries in his eyes.
Thank you for any advice you can provide us.
He could have aspirated vomitus while vomiting and developed aspiration pne
Thanks for posting your query on HCM.
It looks like your brother may have aspirated vomitus while he was vomiting and again while he was gargling and could have developed aspiration pneumonia. If his cough continues or worsens, he should get checked as he may need antibiotics.
I think it's only a coincidence that he has had these choking instances. As you said he is a healthy young person, I don't think there is anything majorly wrong with him. He may have been underweight at the time of birth but he has not had major issues with his respiratory system.
However if these choking instances continue, It's better to get him investigated wherein a bronchoscopy and UGIE should be performed to rule out aspiration of gastric content into the airways.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes choking in sleep
- Vomiting of blood after choking
- What can cause frequent choking
- What causes a sudden choking sensation
- What causes choking on saliva
- What causes choking and spitting in newborn
- What causes persistant coughing and choking
- What causes choking sensation in throat
- What causes me to choke easily
- What can cause choking
- Having cough. Not cured by antibiotic. Started body pain and rashes on...
- Shortness of breath, chest discomfort, fatigue, rising d dimer levels,...
- Breathlessness, coughing, sound while breathing, diagnosed with allergic...
- Chronic cough, wheezing & brownish sputum with metallic taste. Had...
- Extreme fatigue, dry mouth, blurred vision, hair loss, frequent...
- Having chest pain, coughing with phlegm, feeling throat irritation....
- Experiencing pain in upper chest. Hurts while breathing or moving. What...
- 9 year child stung by bee on arm. Skin gets red and hard. What cure...
- Diagnosed with bacterial bronchitis. On medication. No fever, having...
- May I know the reason for pneumonia and symptoms?