What causes chills and shoulder pain while on oral antibiotics?

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Infections
Question: I have a prosthetic knee that got infected and have been on Cipro for about 8 weeks, after having taken vancomycin for 6 weeks as an IV twice a day. I've been off of the IV's for two weeks, but still continuing with the Cipro and doxycycline was then added to the cipro. I have been having chills and severe pains. First in the hands, then the left shoulder, then the right hip and now my pointer fingers. I am scheduled to remain on these two oral antibiotics for 2 1/2 more months. I believe it is the Cipro that is causing me these problems. Can you help me?
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
If you can't reach your Doctor, then need to reach out for the nearest ER/Urgent Care without any further delay

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Welcome to HCM,

I've gone through your query and understand your concern..

Yes, it's a quite severe infection which you've suffered thus the antibiotic course is needed to be prolonged..

However, all these symptoms needed to be addressed promptly, as you've rightly pointed out, some of these are also seen in chronic use of Cipro..

Since you can't reach your Doctor, I strongly suggest you to get in touch with your nearest ER/Urgent care for a complete physical examination and a few relevant investigations to decide if it's Cipro induced or there's another underlying cause for these (please note that these symptoms can even be experienced in a new onset infection of another pathogen, that's why proper investigation as well as thorough examination is necessary before taking any decision regarding Cipro)..

Let me know if your having any further queries, I'll be glad to clarify..

Please don't delay any more and get prompt medical attention..

Best Wishes
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee