question-icon

What causes chills and hot flashes while taking Fentanyl?

Posted on Mon, 16 Mar 2015
Question: I have been having chills then hot, over and over through out the day and night. I have been on a rx of fentanyl patches 125mcg for 1 1/2 years, could it be withdrawl, I am not sick, this has been going on for approx. 3 months.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Withdrawal of Fentanyl

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

The symptom you are describing is typical of menopause however Fentanyl withdrawal is also known to cause severe shivering and flushing, but it should have settled by now as it has already been 3 months

The other causes are
1. Thyroid disorders
2. Vit D deficiency
3. Malaria ( only in epidemic regions)
4. Urinary tract infection

Please approach your GP for these routine blood test

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist